Congressional Leaders’ Takes Bold Initiative Against Gambling Addiction

On January 11, Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut and Representative Andrea Salinas of Oregon proposed the Gambling Addiction Recovery, Investment, and Treatment (GRIT) Act in response to the growing problem of gambling addiction in the United States.

NCPG Endorsement Emphasizes Critical Need The GRIT Act has the backing of the National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG), which estimates that 7 million adult Americans struggle with gambling addiction. With the astonishing $7 billion that gambling addiction costs the economy and society each year, it is urgently necessary to address this issue. According to NCPG study, there will be a worrisome 30% increase in the likelihood of gambling addiction between 2018 and 2021.

Susan Sheridan Tucker, President of the NCPG Board of Directors, emphasized the significance of the GRIT Act: “This legislation is a pivotal step towards providing long-overdue support for those grappling with gambling addiction.”

Leadership Acknowledged by NCPG Keith Whyte, Executive Director of the NCPG, lauded Sen. Blumenthal and Rep. Salinas for their commitment to addressing the challenges posed by gambling addiction. Whyte sees the GRIT Act as evidence of their dedication to mitigating harm associated with gambling.

“The introduction of the GRIT Act showcases their shared commitment to reducing harm associated with gambling and confronting the challenges posed by gambling addiction,” Whyte stated.

175% Extra + $75 Risk Free Bet!

New players only. 17% on 1st Deposit + $75 Risk Free Bet

Casino & Sports

Making Use of Revenue to Recover 50% of the present federal sports excise tax income is suggested to be strategically allocated to research and treatment for gambling addiction under the GRIT Act. 25% of the funds, which are administered by the US Department of Health and Human Services, will support research grants on gambling addiction at the National Institute of Drug Abuse, with the remaining 75% going to states for prevention and treatment.

The bill specifies a ten-year expenditure authorization period and requires a report on the program’s success to be sent to Congress within three years of it being passed. Crucially, the GRIT Act leverages current federal excise tax money and works inside the Health and Human Services’ established structure to accomplish its goals without increasing taxes or adding to the already dense bureaucracy.

Support from Nationwide, Local Effect The GRIT Act bills itself as an essential safety net for organizations and state health departments battling gaming addiction. In response to the lack of government activities in this area, the bill is intended to promote national best practices and thorough research. Even though gambling addiction is common in the US, no specific federal agency or funding are available to address its treatment or study.

The post Congressional Leaders’ Takes Bold Initiative Against Gambling Addiction appeared first on

Physical Address

304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124