The world of poker mourns the loss of one of its brightest stars, Doyle Brunson, who passed away on Sunday, May 14, at the age of 89 in Las Vegas. Affectionately known as “The Godfather of Poker,” Brunson’s contributions to the game are immeasurable, and his legacy will continue to shape the future of poker for generations to come.
Yes I’m sorry. It’s true. RIP Doyle
— Todd Brunson (@ToddBrunson) May 15, 2023
Doyle Brunson’s Most Notable Moments
Throughout his illustrious career, Brunson had many notable moments that have become part of poker lore. These moments not only highlight his skill and prowess at the poker table but also his enduring spirit and passion for the game.
- 1976 and 1977 World Series of Poker Main Event Wins: Brunson achieved the extraordinary feat of winning back-to-back World Series of Poker (WSOP) Main Event titles in 1976 and 1977. Both times, he won the final hand with a 10-2 offsuit, a hand now known as a “Doyle Brunson” in his honor.
- Induction into the Poker Hall of Fame: In 1988, Brunson was one of the first players to be inducted into the Poker Hall of Fame, a testament to his influence on the game and recognition of his exceptional skill.
- Publication of “Super/System”: In 1978, Brunson authored “Super/System,” one of the most influential poker books of all time. His strategies revolutionized how poker is played, and the book continues to be a must-read for aspiring poker players.
- Record 10 WSOP Bracelets: Over his career, Brunson won a total of 10 WSOP bracelets, a feat only surpassed by Phil Hellmuth, Johnny Chan, and Phil Ivey. His last bracelet win came in 2005 in the No-Limit Hold’em event.
- 2018 WSOP Retirement Announcement: At the age of 85, Brunson announced his retirement from the World Series of Poker in 2018. His final event was the $10,000 No-Limit 2-7 Lowball Draw Championship where he finished in 6th place.
Top 5 Doyle Brunson Quotes
Brunson was not only a master of the game but also a wellspring of wisdom about life and poker. Here are five of his most memorable quotes:
- “A man with money is no match against a man on a mission.”
- “Poker is a lot like sex. Everyone thinks they are the best, but most don’t have a clue what they are doing.”
- “The key to No-Limit is to put a man to a decision for all his chips.”
- “You can’t let it get you down when somebody knocks you out of a tournament playing a hand they shouldn’t have played. Without these types of players, nobody would win any amount of money, so sometimes you just have to take your medicine.”
- “In poker, you never have a very, very big edge unless you are a short stack, and you have to take the short end of it. But, you got to be prepared to gamble in poker to win.”
A Legacy Remembered
Brunson’s family released a heartfelt statement following his passing, stating, “It is with a heavy heart we announce the passing of our father, Doyle Brunson. He was a beloved Christian man, husband, father and grandfather. We’ll have more to say over the coming days as we honor his legacy. Please keep Doyle and our family in your prayers.”
Doyle Brunson’s passing is indeed a significant loss to the poker world and beyond. His unyielding passion for the game, coupled with his indomitable spirit and undeniable skill, left an indelible mark on the game of poker. His strategic insights and legendary wins forever changed how the game is played and viewed by both professionals and amateurs alike.
Beyond his achievements at the poker table, Brunson was a cherished family man. His love for his family was evident, as was his steadfast faith. His passing leaves a void, not just in the hearts of his family members, but in the entire poker community that held him in such high regard.
In the face of this loss, we remember Brunson not just for his poker prowess, but also for his strength of character, his wisdom, and his unwavering commitment to his faith and family. As we mourn his passing, we also celebrate his life and the enduring legacy he leaves behind.
Doyle Brunson’s story is one of triumph, resilience, and a deep love for the game of poker. His life serves as a testament to the power of passion and dedication, and his influence will continue to inspire and shape the world of poker for generations to come.
As we remember Brunson, we revisit his iconic moments and timeless wisdom, reflecting on the profound impact he had on the game of poker and the people who play it. His departure marks the end of an era, but his legacy will forever be a part of poker’s rich history.
In the coming days, as we continue to honor his memory and legacy, we are reminded of the man behind the legend – a dedicated family man, a steadfast believer, and an unmatched poker genius. And through our recollections and tributes, his spirit will continue to live on. As we keep Doyle and his family in our prayers, we bid farewell to a true icon of poker, Doyle Brunson, the Godfather of Poker.
The post Doyle Brunson Passes at 89 – Remembering a Poker Legend appeared first on iGaming.org.