BSP Orders E-Wallets and Banks to Cut In-App Links to Online Gambling

After previously hinting at tightening its rules on online gaming, The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) has moved to shut off in-app access to gambling platforms across the country, telling e-wallets, banks, and other payment providers to remove links within 48 hours.


Good to know

  • The order applies to all BSP-supervised institutions, including e-wallets, banks, and payment platforms.
  • The suspension will last until BSP finalizes its online gambling payment policy.
  • Proposed safeguards include ID checks, transfer limits, and self-exclusion tools.

In a statement released Thursday, the central bank said the directive covers “any product, service, or feature that redirects an account holder to a gaming or gambling site.” BSP cited a spike in online gambling transactions and concerns over their impact on household finances and wider social costs.

“The suspension will remain in place until the BSP finalises the policy on online gambling payment services,” the announcement stated.

Stronger rules on the way

Earlier this month, BSP confirmed it is preparing new regulations following public consultation. The planned measures include:

5BTC or 111% + 111 Free Spins!

New players only. Exclusive 111% Welcome Bonus + 111 Free Spins

Casino

  1. Strict identity verification for gambling-related payments.
  2. Daily transaction limits for gambling transfers.
  3. Time-based restrictions on payment activity.
  4. User-controlled tools for spending caps, voluntary breaks, or self-exclusion.

The central bank says these steps aim to give consumers more control while reducing gambling-related harm.

Senate weighs total ban versus tighter regulation

The BSP’s move coincided with a Senate hearing on the future of online gambling in the Philippines. Lawmakers are reviewing multiple bills — three calling for a complete ban and two proposing tougher regulations.

Senator Erwin Tulfo, chair of the Senate Committee on Games and Amusement, told the hearing:

“Right now, we face two policy paths: a complete ban on all forms of online gambling or stricter and more effective regulation. But let this committee send a strong message: the Philippines will not be a playground for gambling syndicates, whether foreign or local, legal or illegal. Our youth are not for sale. Our families are not collateral damage.”

Get 125% / $2,500 on 1st deposit!

New players only. Exclusive Welcome Bonus of up to $2,500

Casino & Sports

The session brought together officials from several agencies, including Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) chairman and CEO Alejandro Tengco.

In response to growing regulatory pressure, a group of licensed online gambling operators recently formed the PlaySafe Alliance of the Philippines, committing to higher operational standards and safer gambling practices.

The post BSP Orders E-Wallets and Banks to Cut In-App Links to Online Gambling appeared first on iGaming.org.