Gambling Ban in the Philippines Still Under Review by President Marcos Jr

Online gambling in the Philippines may face sweeping changes, but nothing has been finalized yet. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is said to be carefully reviewing different proposals, ranging from tougher regulations to a full ban.


Good to know

  • President Marcos is still weighing economic and public impact before deciding on a potential gambling ban.
  • A complete ban could risk driving users to illegal platforms, according to government officials.
  • The Department of Finance and central bank are both working on tighter rules and tax plans for the sector.

Government discussions have intensified recently, especially after the Department of Finance floated the idea of raising taxes on digital gambling platforms. At the same time, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas has introduced a draft circular that could restrict the use of e-wallets for betting.

Officials Warn Against Rushing Decisions

Claire Castro, undersecretary at the Presidential Communications Office, said on Wednesday that the President wants to examine the issue from every angle. “Decisions like this are thoroughly studied to assess their impact on the economy and the public,” she said during a briefing, according to the Manila Standard.

She added that banning regulated platforms outright may not work as intended. “We cannot rush into it. Sometimes, banning legal and licensed online gaming sites results in a rise in illegal platforms, which could affect the economy even more.”

350% or 5BTC + 150 Spins!

New players only. Exclusive Welcome Bonus of 350% + 150 Free Spins

Casino

Industry Pushes Back Against Total Ban

Senators and other officials have voiced support for stronger controls or even a complete ban, citing growing concerns about social risks and access to gambling tools. That includes efforts to limit e-wallet use for online gambling, which the central bank’s proposed rules aim to tackle directly.

However, voices from the industry argue that enforcement—not elimination—is the better path. Pagcor chairman Alejandro Tengco said last week that increased oversight would be more effective than shutting everything down. The goal, he said, should be better regulation, not wiping the entire market off the map.

Casino operators in the Philippines have also weighed in. In a joint statement this week, three major casino resort operators said they fully comply with national laws and maintain high standards across both physical and digital operations. All three also run online gambling services such as remote betting and digital casino games.

Currently, the online gambling sector is restricted to serving domestic players. The previous POGO model, which catered to foreign users, was heavily targeted during a government crackdown last year and is no longer part of the legal system.

177% up to 5BTC + 77  Free Spins!

New players only. Exclusive Welcome Bonus of 177% + 77 Free Spins

Casino

For now, the industry is waiting to see what decision the President will make—and whether it will mean a tax hike, tighter digital rules, or something more drastic. A ban would of course turn out great for the land-based casino resorts that have set up in Metro Manila area. It would therefore not be too surprising if they are pushing for a ban on online gaming as well, as numbers are down as Filipinos spend more time online.

The post Gambling Ban in the Philippines Still Under Review by President Marcos Jr appeared first on iGaming.org.